Living Mangaliso launching The Children’s Meditation Club came from the heart beat of wanting to take the principles and practices of meditation and yoga, and provide spaces for parents and educators to touch simple yet profound tools to affect the kids in our lives. We wondered how can we make them as accessible to parents and educators as possible. Without having to take expensive classes or purchase gadgets and gizmos; we have put together daily hands on, practical, down-to-earth, and real life invitations for you and the children. We have made them about what we all interact with on a regular, daily basis.
The Nuts and Bolts.
How can we teach ourselves and our children to be more observant? Learning how to focus, pay attention, self-regulate, create and cultivate curiosity while building and maintaining a growing sense of self and others is our aim. We hold words and concepts like compassion, choice, kindness, strength, wisdom out to everyone; from the 2 year old to the teenager to us as adults.
There are simple, tangible methods of understanding and growing the capacity for internal empowerment. That is what we are about.
Children’s meditation and yoga is one way we get there.
Partnering with you as their teacher or parent or care-giver is another.
Creating safe and reliable community, nurturing and championing that which is possible, claiming the strengths of childlikeness and incorporating them in all we do is what The Children’s Meditation Club does!
We will start officially in May with our yearly themes; that will take us on the journey through our body and senses and beyond.
Stepping, skipping, or hopping into April; let me hold out some activities that you and your child and family or classroom can all do together.
Empowering the Body, Equipping the Heart and Mind.
- Create space where the children can feel what it feels like to be in their own body.
- Standing alongside their desk. ((Variations if a child can’t stand; use words to empower them to feel themselves in their seat. Use blocks or books or blankets to bring the floor up to them if while sitting their feet hang in the air.)
- Tell the child, “Put your feet hips distance apart. Roll your shoulders down your back. Tuck your chin. Lift at the crown of your head.” What are you doing? You are inviting them down into their physical person. Grounding is essential for all of us. Standing with intention is a powerful way that we can step into this sensation. IT can be done in the classroom, conference room, grocery store; sitting down or standing. It gives us a sense of ourselves in space.
- Next invite them into the experience. “Tune in!” Starting with awareness. They tune in all the time, as do we! What we are tuning into is the question. Invite them to tune into themselves. This is what I say, but you can find your own words. “Feel the soles of your feet underneath you, feel the ground underneath the soles of your feet.”
- Tune in continues… Breath! Remind them to stand feet hips distance apart, shoulders rolled back, chin tucked, and head feeling pulled up by an imaginary string. Then continue onward building upon the physical stance. “Roll your arms open so that the palms of your hands face me (or outward). Arms to the sides, now take a big breath in through your nose rising your arms up until your hands come and meet over your head. Arms are long and strong, hands over your head.” (If the children are really young, I will have them clap their hands together at this point.) Have them then blow the breath out from their mouths, as they bring their hands down to heart center.
- Tune in… Intention! Answering the question, what are they tuning into? (If you desire to take this step further into an activity.) That is a great question to have as a dialogue with older kids! At Living Mangaliso our goal for all of us is a healthy, developed and developing sense of self; we implement our passion for this reality in many ways. A daily tuning in activity is one of them. They are standing with their feet hips distance apart, their shoulders rolled down their back, their chin tucked and their head lifted; their hands are at heart center, now… comes the utterance. I want them tuning into the reality that they are indeed an amazement. They are worth celebrating. Using language and the power of articulation, to communicate into all of our ears and hearts, that there is worth and value within the human being is our passion. The first statement we make together, they repeat after me or you as the case may be! “Repeat after me, ‘I’ ‘am’ ‘an’ ‘amazement.’” I have them do this with the arm movement, hands arising, breath entering at least twice if not three times. Each time I reply; “yes, yes you are, let us say it again.”
The upcoming months…
You will see how we will step into the life of meditation, movement, and mindful practices. We do so in a very tangible, thoughtful approach. All we do is about empowering the one in front of us, doing so without needing expensive trinkets or classes.
They are, as you are, an “I.” They are a person. They inhabit a body. They take up space. That is a most wonderful reality! You and I do, too. That is what we are communicating. We are using mediation, movement, and mindful practices to bring the concepts of sense of self, self-regulation, compassion, attention and focus into life!
Joining on and stepping in.
April is FREE for everyone!
We start our membership in May. .
The $20 monthly membership, gives you access to The Living Mangaliso Meditation Children’s Club track on our website.
An email outlining daily and weekly helps based on the theme selected for that month will be sent out to you. Our themes were cultivated not through typical pre-school and school-aged concepts around holidays or seasons, we took a deep look at what we wanted to empower adults and children towards and we stepped into that. (You will be doing it with them, we took that into account. These practices while applicable to the child transfer extremely well to the adult that is with them. It was watching the aids that help in my kids’ yoga classes that taught me to be able to give something to all in the room.)
Available to all (Members and non-Members) Facebook Live on Monday morning called “Ready…Set…. Go.” Helping kids and parents to tune into themselves, each other, and the week ahead.
A monthly go live Q & A session. Open to all, but questions will be submitted ahead of time by parents and kids who are members.
The membership includes a monthly Tactile meditation aid built around the theme of the month. (Children do need to be at least 3 as the aids and bracelets are made with small beads. If you have kids under 3 and want to join, there is a $10 option that doesn't include the tactile meditation aid) We created these for our clients who had ADD, ADHD, or other sensory processing issues. They are also amazing for children and adults with anxiety issues or who just need some extra help finding grounding and focus.
We are watching as the principals and practices of movement and mediation are affecting the lives of children and families! Stepping into a vibrant community where we can pursue the giving of the gifts of a sense of self, self-regulation, the growth of focus and attention, and the empowerment of the child and family is our passion.
Children's Meditation Club
Children's Meditation Club
(For children 2-3, this membership doesn't have the tactile meditation aid)